Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Binge No More!

I use to wake up on Thanksgiving morning and think "I'd better wear lose pants to make room for all the food." Today I did not have that thought at all, other then to think that I was grateful that my attitude has changed so much. I am more then satisfied with the foods I can eat (ones that my body does not react to in an insane way), in the quantity that I've committed to the evening before (Each day I call a sponsor and commit to them what I will eat for that next day.).
I looked at a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies late morning, I had enjoyed the smell as they baked, and how pretty they looked on the plate, but I did not NEED to eat any, and I did NOT feel deprived! That is a miracle! God is removing the obsession from me. I can truly truly say that I am grateful that they are no longer my food. God is good! He's removing the obsession from me one day at a time as long as my eyes are stayed on him. 
Each morning I turn over my self will to God (as all it has ever gotten me is into trouble) and I ask him to show me what his will is for my day. I ask him to remove my obsession with food and alcohol, so that I can be of better service to those I love, and to each person I come in contact with. This little bit of time I've been taking each day is making all the difference. Addiction is no small thing, I know now it is not something I can control, but I am seeing the miracle of what God can do if I just stay focused on him. 
I talk to God throughout my day. Any little thought of eating or drinking that comes to mind, I take it to him and ask him to help me. He always does. This is such a simple practice, but I have been amazed at the results.
I also have dear friends in program now that are there to help, and they know I am there for them to. It is hard for me to reach out to others for help. I still struggle with that, but anytime I call them they are always glad to hear from me and they totally understand what I'm going through. I am so grateful for them.
I am also thankful that I can make this lovely dinner for my family, with all their favorite Thanksgiving day treats, and not feel the need to indulge in it myself. I'll have my weighed and measured portions of the foods my body can handle, and I can enjoy making a special meal for my loved ones. That is another miracle for me!
So, on this Thanksgiving day 2012, I have SO much to be thankful for. This is the first Thanksgiving day for me, that has been way more about the thankfulness then it is about the food, and that feels as it should be. Blessings and joy to you all!

3 comments:

  1. You are, were and will be beautiful. That doesn't change. But what an inspiration this path is to me and others! Thank you for your raw vulnerability and openness. I love you MJ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you Teri, your such a blessing in my life. Miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you doing? My high weight was 269, I am 10 months abstinent now! Pulling for you! I am down to 191.5 (not all in 10 months as I had many stop and starts.) blessings, sheila

    ReplyDelete